Thursday, August 27, 2009

Water Doesn't Boil When You're Waiting

Well, water does eventually boil when you're watching (Trust me, I boiled daily like crazy in chemistry lab but thats a very boring story and unless you're trying to go to sleep right now, don't ask about it ).

I'm sure that you either fit into this story somewhere or you know someone who needs to be saved QUICKLY!!!

Picture this, a few weeks back, I connected with a new client (lets call her Shelly) who had come to speak to me about her love life. What was interesting enough was that Shelly wanted to have an open conversation about meeting someone but she insisted that she was in love with a guy named Mike. As we began to talk, I told her that she would meet 2 new potential partners that she'd have to make a choice between them in about 9 weeks. Shelly didn't want to hear that. "What about Mike"? I'm not understanding all of this. She wants to know if she'll meet her Mr. Wonderful but she's still concerned about this guy Mike who's she's been waiting on for well over one year to get himself together? (yes all one breath)
In other words, She wanted me to confirm to her that Mike was her Soulmate and that they'd live happily ever after if she just "waited" just a little bit longer (it's only been a year of her life so far).
This Mike did have potential. If only he'd end his engagement, move out of his home that he shared with "HER" and jumped into what Shelly thought was a more loving situation than he could ever dream of ::sigh::

As we're heading into fall time, I mentioned to her that she'd be invited to many social functions where she's supposed to be either introduced to or connect with in some form or fashion these two men. The problem is, Shelly really didn't want to go to any social engagements, she wanted to discuss Mike and wondered how long exactly would it take for him to realize that she was the better person for him.
How long would it take for him to jump out of his situation and start a new situation with her?
She after all thought that she deserved to have a man who loved and cherished her, wanted nothing but to spend his life with her, because in her eyes,she was the better person.
She wanted to take Mike around her friends as they often did coupled off dinner dates, she wanted Mike to be home when she got there and she was determined to wait for him (she said she'd give this one more year and at this time I'm wondering why didn't she just wait one more year to seek me out ?)
During the wait with Mike, she says that I've convinced her to consider being open to meeting someone new (Yes this can be a bit mind numbing but please follow along... I do.all the time!)
Also, with all of this. she would still like to know if there would be a a wedding in her immediate future ( Secretly hoping that I would say "Yes and with Mike!!" and yes, conversations like this really happen in real life)

I told Shelly that she'd meet 2 potential longterm mates within 9 weeks of our conversation, "as soon as the season turns into fall Shelly", she would need to accept her invitations as the Social escapades would be her ticket to love. She'd be able to meet someone who was free and open to date her, get to know her and want to spend a lot of his free time with her. Shelly got excited!! She said that she missed dancing, going out, having couples nights with her friends who were already involved. Honestly just having a constant companion who she could share her life with.
"BUT WHAT ABOUT MIKE ? WHEN DO YOU THINK HE'LL BE READY TO PROVIDE MORE OF WHAT I WANT ??" << didn't you just ask me when you would meet a potential longterm companion? Shelly didn't want any of those things if they did not include Mike going out with her, doing couple things, sharing his life with her. The problem is. Mike was already doing all of those desires of Shelly, just not with her. Now I'm not one to cast judgement on anyone and in my line of work, I've seen a mistress nab her guy and they live happily ever after. The truth of the matter is many times over, this situation never works. While Shelly was constantly waiting on Mike, she's already planning on missing out on social engagements because she refuses to do them alone. Missing out on meeting men who would be potential mates because she wants those nights to be with the man she's already waited on for one year.. Missing out on having a great social night with friends. Networking or just painting the town red.. This is what she wants... She wanted me to just say that she would have this..... With Mike! Attitudes begin to rise, I could feel her tension, she's angry because I'm not saying what she wants to hear but what she Needs to hear. I'm ok with that, I can sleep at night. While she's waiting on Water to boil for the next year or so, Mike is doing what he does best, he keeps her waiting

5 comments:

  1. So true, I am woman up to be true to myself...I am taking it in stride one day at a time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why cant men just love us the way we want them too...We wait for them...forgive them...keep giving our all...and for what...a dream we have created in our own minds about the relationship. Its time we make them step up...and see how they like waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been chasing after someone for 7 years and read to give her up. My problem is that I try to find someone else she is either attached or not interested. I know it all comes from me and my thinking, but I don't know how to escape this trap. I've had very few relationships and my married ended. If you can shed light on this for me, I would be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyme out, the men that you attract are the epitome of Exhaustion that leads to nowhere... When you connect with one that share your common interest, only then you will be able to relax and enjoy.. Same for you chig ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree!!! There are some people in this world who want their cake and eat it too,especially after you've done slaved over making it. In my growth of life I've noticed these kind of people but they only do to you what you allow them to do. I finally grew up! And boy was it a reality smack on how I viewed myself and mainly how I loved myself. I would be careful of folks who can't tell the difference between a rare diamond or sparkly zirconia.

    ReplyDelete