Monday, August 17, 2009

Sometimes We're Forced in Directions that We should've found on our own

Have you ever hated a situation that you were in? Here's a story. Picture it, 8 years ago I was hired to teach a course at a college but the problem is that the hours were long. I was a recently divorced, single mom of 2 children and I had to work the hours of 12 PM until 9 PM. Not only was I responsible for teaching the hardest course that the students needed to learn (to take board exams with the state) I was "promoted" to a non paid position newly titled Assistant Director of Education. Talk about dreadful. Towards 4 months into this NEW Position, my body would tense up, I started having these negative thoughts and my blood pressure was to the roof (even though I ran 3 miles per day before work) just two hours into my work schedule.
I realized during my time of agony at this school that surely the universe wouldn't dare want me to grow old here with cheap pay and miss out on life. So I began to manifest a way to depart employment here and still be able to raise my children financially. During the last 2 weeks of my dreadful hours at this particular college, I began to butt heads with my old boss about things that really amounted to nothing. She knew that I was getting tired of working there so she really pressed my buttons. One day she called while I was working just to ask what was going on at the school, if I knew to lock up (I had only been locking up 5 months now) and making sure that I didn't let the night instructors cut their classes early (we had this conversation 100 times as if I was a child). The very last night I was there, My boss called and I couldn't take it any longer. She all of a sudden wanted me to write down everything that I had done during my now 9 hours at this school. So I did. I used POST IT notes to write down every single thing I had done upon entering the school for the day including time and minutes used. I went home that night and typed up a resignation letter that included the following day as my LAST DAY (I know how unprofessional but 2 additional weeks of blood pressure rising wasn't in my cards). As I walked into work with letter in hand, the Director of the School called me to his office and there was my boss with over 100 Post It Sticky Notes. After the Director of the school explained to me how unprofessional the post it notes were he began to ask me if I liked working there. Any person who desperately needed that job (like I did) would've told him yes and with a smile.But I didn't, I kindly said no, I didn't like my position. At this time he proceeds to tell me that I was being let go and he will make sure that my vacation pay was in the mail with my final direct deposit. Can you believe that I had a huge smile on my face? When he asked me what was I about to give him. I kindly said "Ohh this was the resignation letter that I was going to give you but since you've "let me go" I did just gain some sort of unemployment, I need the vacation. I ripped up my resignation letter and skipped out to my car. Well the rest is history and here I am. You see, I was forced into being fired when I should've just resigned myself from the college long before
Many people are in situations like this. Just skating along through life, going to jobs that they hate, continuing into relationships that they know aren't healthy for them. You have to sometimes take a leap of faith and know that you will soon be back on the path that you're supposed to take.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you're Right Kat, and you've Been Right so many times. Sad that it's taken me so long to see how right you can be.

    I love this story- it shows how life will guide you along-or kick you in the pants- but better to know and act Before the kick.

    Please write more, and I recognize the blog title-maybe a book someday, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gurl this is so right on target!!!! I'm going through that right now at my job...But it's not uncomfortable but it's getting there!!!!! It's the "I'm worth more than this" and you need to recognize this...That's what I'm going through. But it's like my life over the past couple of months has turned into that. I'm worth more. Got rid of all the neg.people in my life and life couldn't be better. Thanks so much for your blog it was just a confirmation that God will work it out no matter what!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat its finally over with my relationship and, " Yes this blog makes perfect sense." I put up with it for years. I done everything that I could and still didn't want to listen. Some kind of journey I place my soul into. I guess it all happen because of fear of moving on and finding the next person who may be similar like them. By your spiritual advise I didn't take heed and it was easier for you telling me those thign to get to the next level. I just didn't have the courage to take the advise and move on. By that big push look where it lead me too. I'm finally happy and now I can smile again. Thanks again for everything. You have been a real inspiration to me. I love it...

    ReplyDelete